Author Topic: So the doctor says, don't pedal hard

sam

•  
So the doctor says, don't pedal hard
« on: July 03, 2008 »
Later today I may try my hand at removing a bottom bracket. I have the technology. It doesn't look that difficult. Maybe when it's out I'll see something down there that's causing the clicking noise when I pedal hard. An obvious little clicky thing. Or maybe it's the ti frame complaining, even though it didn't used to. This problem has been an on-again-off-again-on-again affair with no confirmed culprit. The chainring bolts appear innocent. Referred noise is a possibility but my trained ear says no.

I've tried bike shop mechanics. They can't help me. They're not really that interested. Why should they be? They don't have to listen to the clicking when they're cycling up hills. Usually it's masked by my ipod. That's not the point: I know it's there. A tree which falls alone in the forest still makes a sound. There may be someone online who can make a diagnosis, but stethoscopes don't always work so well over the internet.

It wasn't that long ago that I wouldn't have seriously considered doing this myself. Fooling around with chains to find a magic gear for the bike in question made this operation conceivable. Previously I'd managed quite nicely thank you without picking up a chain tool. We all have our specialities; messing with bikes has never been one of mine, aside from superficial stuff like installing mudguards or whatever. There's no danger of addiction. Although I may eventually achieve competence in spite of myself, I'm not interested in becoming an übermechanic, even if I had the aptitude. I've got other fish to fry.

Recently I got my hair cut. This process was its usual nightmare of indecision. I haven't had a good cut since 1998 or so, which is one reason I let it grow long. Then came the great chop of '07 (or was it '06? Records were lost in the flood.) The aftermath has been one bad haircut after another. I came very close to trying to do it myself, hoping google could teach me the basics - I'd be free! - but at the last minute I dove into a cheap barbershop (£8) near the British Museum and emerged with something which looked promising in window reflections. Unless it grows out, destroying my faith yet again.

So this bottom bracket thing. I'll set up in my operating theatre and have a go. I might actually manage to remove the noise without stripping the threads with the crank extractor. Or I could just leave them off and turn it into a celerifere.

sam

•  
Re: So the doctor says, don't pedal hard
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008 »
That went well enough to leave me with a pleasant buzz. I'm afraid that riding the bike to see if it worked might ruin the moment.

click for before picture

sam

•  
Re: So the doctor says, don't pedal hard
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008 »